Search This Blog

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Vintage Collection "Bespin Twin-Pod Cloud Car"

(Photo Credits: Google Images)


General Thoughts: As a child that grew up during the time of the Special Edition releases, I never knew the abundance that was the Kenner Vintage toys. As a result, I missed out on a lot of great things, namely the Cloud Car. This vehicle was only made once, during the original 1980 run of toys, and since then there has not been a modern update to it. For years Hasbro has claimed that it just doesn’t have enough screen time and aggressive features, and the original molds were lost or broken, despite the large volume of fans clamoring for it’s release. Finally, in 2010, as part of the new Vintage Collection ironically enough, we get to see this curious vehicle released again, this time with all new tooling, new features, and even a new pilot to purchase and drive our ship.

Detail: 11/10

I try to not give too many scores over 10 in reviews, as it seems somewhat tacky to me, but in this instance, like others, I can’t help but do so. My reasoning is that there are just so many things crammed into this toy that it definitely makes up for Habro saying no for so many years. The engines are given a “glowing” paintjob, the many missile launchers are seamlessly integrated into the design, and the paint applications on the entire ship are just wonderful.

Accuracy: 11/10

Again, I’m only giving this an 11 because I don’t feel a 10 gives it justice. This ship has all of the features of a Cloud Car seen in the movie, but it goes the extra mile and shows us not one, but two new features that would not be apparent from viewing the film. The two cockpits can split apart to become two separate vehicles, increasing play value, and the cars themselves can slide together and reveal hidden missile launchers, giving this fighter some more oomph to police the skies of Bespin with.

Playability: 10/10

As I stated above, this toy has quite a lot of features that make it worthwhile. Both cockpits open and can fit the new 2010 Cloud Car Pilot figure, as well as a slew of others if you’re so inclined. There are new landing gear posts on the bottom of the ship, with sculpted laser cannons on them, as well as opening engine compartments on the front of each car. The package lists them as storage compartments, but I’m not entirely sure what people would want to store near the engine of a starfighter. The cars can separate, creating two individual vehicles, and they can be pushed together to reveal their hidden missile launchers, which are in addition to the two on the middle section of the craft, all of which can be fired. Basically, there’s a lot for kids to do with this thing.

Overall Design: 10/10

For something that they said couldn’t be done, due to whatever reasons they were citing at the time, Hasbro sure did a bang-up job of making one of the coolest vehicles of 2010. They crammed a bunch of features into the ship, all while keeping it screen accurate and making hundreds of collectors happy, and that doesn’t happen all the time.

Final Thoughts:

I had my doubts about this thing at first, but after having purchased it and holding it in my hands, I have to say that I am very satisfied with my decision. My only real surprise with this ship was the size, as it is downright puny compared to most of my other craft, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as it can be stored in a much smaller space than the rest of them. Looking at the Starfighter assortment, I’d say things are off to a good start, and the choices just seem to keep getting better. With things like the Cloud Car, Swamp Speeder, and Droid Gunship all being released in consecutive waves, vehicles are definitely putting a strain on my wallet. I picked this up for less than retail, which I thought was a bonus, and I would highly encourage anyone who is on the fence to pick it up, as you’ll be sorry if you don’t, and you may just have to wait another 30 years for them to re-release this one.

Grade: 42/40 A++

Verdict: Definitely Get This


SW Collector

No comments:

Post a Comment